5 months away from home in the States, with a lack of baking equipments, settling for hand whisks, microwaves, unfamiliar ovens, loaned baking tins… Still, I have never received so many requests for any recipe (or the cupcakes themselves).
Fresh mashed bananas are the secret to these cupcakes, adding genuine flavour and not to mention the pack of vitamins they contain, the best way to feed kids (including college kids) the fruits they should be eating. Instead of using fattening frosting, try topping the cupcakes of with crispy oat streusel topping with a touch of cinnamon. A plus plus plus is the aroma of bananas and cinnamon that will fill your kitchen (and living room and dining room)… What a perfect start or middle or end to a busy day of work and activities!
This recipe makes 12 regular cupcakes
Banana Cupcakes and Oat Streusel Topping
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
5 ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
(For oat streusel topping)
1-1/4 cup of oats
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 177 degrees Celsius). Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, prepare the dry ingredients. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another bowl, prepare the wet ingredients. Mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla. (Tip for mashed bananas: Slice the bananas into a bowl, use a fork to first prick the bananas to break the structure, then press the bananas to mash them. BE PATIENT!)
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients into it. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix). Dividing evenly, spoon batter into the muffin cups.
5. For the streusel topping, combine together the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your fingers until crumbly. (Tip for topping: Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. Again, be patient!) Sprinkle evenly on top of the muffin batter.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pan, it’s best to eat them warm!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe as much as I did!