There is something captivating, and slightly hypnotic, with flowing chocolate. One of the timeless dessert trends is the Molten Lava Cake. Foodies might be willing to pay any amount for this sensual dessert, but what if I tell you that you could get it ready in less than 1/2 hour in the comfort of your own home??
A few things to note:
- This cake contains some amount of raw batter (and hence raw eggs), unsuitable for young children and pregnant ladies. Please also get your eggs from a reputable source 🙂
- Each oven has its own temperament, baking time may vary slightly for individual ovens
Molten Lava Cake
1/2 cup butter, with a little bit of extra for the ramekins
4 oz dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
vanilla ice cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 230C. Prepare 4 ramekins by coating the entire bottom and sides with butter, then dusting them with cocoa powder. This prevents the cake from sticking to the ramekins.
2. In a double-boiler, melt butter and dark chocolate. Let cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar till the mixture is smooth. Gentle pour in a little of the warm chocolate mixture and whisk. Then pour in the rest of the chocolate mixture, followed by flour. Whisk till well-blended.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared ramekins. Bake in the hot oven for about 7-9 minutes, till cake is set on the outside and still wobbly on the inside.
5. While the cake is still warm, carefully turn it over into a dessert plate. Serve with vanilla ice cream.